From the Burrow

Need a mapping of SQL Version Numbers to Release and SP?

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

I did…and I found it here

My reading for tonight

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

This looks like about the best place to start on my road to Ubuntu development: Getting Started with Ubuntu Development

Cheers to dholbach and everyone in the Ubuntu developer week. I’ll post back how this goes.

LDAP and Binding to a specific server

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

Hey all,

I was looking into the uSNChanged value in ldap and saw that (at least in AD) it is not replicated. This meant I would have to query each server individually…then I realised I didnt know how!…turns out I’ve been connecting just by domain, so a quick google later and I found this:



Implement 'slice' in a custom Python object

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

I needed to do this a little while back while making a pythonic circular list. There used to be a command called getslice but this was deprecated a good while ago and replaced with something (in my opinion) more elegent: slice objects.

Read all about it here! (this doco is a little old, but communicates the principles well)

First Post Test!

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

Hey all! This is my first live test of my python library. In the next post I will show the code used to post this post. Wooo!


2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

I’ve been using pyshell as my interactive python shell of choice for quite a while now and being quite happy with it apparently blinkered me as I missed the fantastic bpython . It’s CLI based and provides in-line syntax highlighting and autocompletion, if the others arent quite doing it for you give it a try….hell, give it a try anyway!

Another tiny app idea...

2011-08-25 00:00:00 +0000

This is one of those ideas I expected to go away after a while but its still here especially after skim reading the session IRC log from the last post:

I find watching a IRC + slide session is much better than reading the logs later. Even though its both just text and visuals it feels more ‘alive’ the first time round.

I think I may make a sort of replay tool which lets you watch the session and changes the slides at the correct times. I’m not sure if I will integrate this into something like Lernid or make a tiny dedicated app…hmm!

Yet another thing for the todo list!

Wordpress Library And Google Neglect

2011-08-24 00:00:00 +0000

Zenoss Wmi Memory Leak

2011-08-23 00:00:00 +0000

Modifying 'Gnome Blog Poster'

2011-08-23 00:00:00 +0000

One of the shortcomings of gnome blog poster is that it insists on treating every return key press and a paragraph…This is a pain in the backside if you are trying to post code (as you no doubt have noticed in the posts below these).

I’ve had a wee go at tweaking this and this post is the test.